- A thong with a slit end, formerly used in schools for punishing children.More example sentences
- The Hootsmon has not shrunk from criticising the Scottish education system and - from time to time - has taken a tawse to its naked hurdies.
- The school deserves praise for its initiative, and it's a far better means of improving behaviour than thrashing unruly children with the tawse.
- The use of the tawse, a then popular and widely accepted form of punishment in Scottish schools, did not infringe the European Convention.
early 16th century (denoting a whip for driving a spinning top): apparently the plural of obsolete taw 'tawed leather', from taw1.
More definitions of tawseDefinition of tawse in:
- The US English dictionary