noun (plural taxmen)• informal
- 1An inspector or collector of taxes.More example sentences
- But practitioners say the taxmen have failed to tell advisers of an amnesty-style deal of which Bank of Ireland customers can avail, and which is referred to in letters sent out by the bank.
- The taxmen have been encouraged to vigorously collect all unpaid interest income with-holdings that banks have declined to surrender.
- Then the taxmen will examine the business to see where the person's earnings are sourced and if they are declared for tax.
- 1.1 (the taxman) The government department that collects tax: he denies conspiracy to cheat the taxmanMore example sentences
- False names and addresses were used to hide the real identity of the account holders, who tried to keep their accounts a secret from the taxman.
- Some people continued to leave cash in offshore havens such as Luxembourg and Gibraltar to keep their affairs secret from the taxman.
- Thanks to handouts from the taxman and my employer, each £1 that I pay into the Fool scheme turns into £2.30 on day one.
More definitions of taxmanDefinition of taxman in:
- The US English dictionary