Definition of taxman in English:
noun (plural taxmen)informal
1An inspector or collector of taxes.
- But practitioners say the taxmen have failed to tell advisers of an amnesty-style deal of which Bank of Ireland customers can avail, and which is referred to in letters sent out by the bank.
- The taxmen have been encouraged to vigorously collect all unpaid interest income with-holdings that banks have declined to surrender.
- Then the taxmen will examine the business to see where the person's earnings are sourced and if they are declared for tax.
1.1 (the taxman) The government department that collects tax: he denies conspiracy to cheat the taxman
More example sentences
- False names and addresses were used to hide the real identity of the account holders, who tried to keep their accounts a secret from the taxman.
- Some people continued to leave cash in offshore havens such as Luxembourg and Gibraltar to keep their affairs secret from the taxman.
- Thanks to handouts from the taxman and my employer, each £1 that I pay into the Fool scheme turns into £2.30 on day one.
Definition of taxman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.