noun[mass noun] Medicine , • trademark
- A compound, originally obtained from the bark of the Pacific yew tree, which has been found to inhibit the growth of certain cancers.More example sentences
- Herbal medicine has contributed aspirin from willow bark, reserpine from snakeroot, taxol from the yew tree, but ‘natural’ is not automatically safe.
- In this century these compounds have provided the basis of many common drugs including aspirin which comes from willow bark, and taxol, an ovarian cancer treatment, derived from the pacific yew.
- Heralded as a breakthrough treatment for breast and ovarian cancer, taxol is found in the bark of the Pacific yew tree.
1970s: from Latin taxus 'yew' + -ol.
More definitions of taxolDefinition of taxol in:
- The US English dictionary