- An elaborate Japanese ritual of serving and drinking tea, as an expression of Zen Buddhist philosophy.More example sentences
- Tea, which was first imported from China around ad 800, only became a widespread beverage in the 15th century, partly through the Japanese court's adoption of the Buddhist tea ceremony.
- However, it is about as far from the memoirs of any geisha as the instant coffee will be from the beautiful ritual of the Japanese tea ceremony.
- And there are obviously easier and quicker ways of making a cup of tea than performing sado, the Japanese tea ceremony, with all its ritual and hours of quiet kneeling.
More definitions of tea ceremonyDefinition of tea ceremony in:
- The US English dictionary