Definition of tea tree in English:
1 (also ti tree) An Australasian flowering shrub or small tree whose leaves are sometimes used for tea. Some species yield an oil valued for its antiseptic properties.
- Genera Leptospermum and Melaleuca, family Myrtaceae: several species, in particular Melaleuca alternifolia, whose leaves yield an essential oil
- Other ingredients such as propolis, myrrh, tea tree and echinacea can help slow bacterial growth, strengthen gum tissue and prevent inflammation.
- He points to work done in a Parisian hospital in which doctors used essential oils of tea tree, thyme and oregano to treat infections.
- On shelves in one bedroom were dozens of bottles of essential oils: clary sage, cinnamon, tea tree and carrot seed.
2 (also Duke of Argyll's tea tree) An ornamental boxthorn native to the Mediterranean.
- Lycium barbarum, family Solanaceae
- Going by a host of names - from Duke of Argyll's tea tree to Iso-tsutsuji - the Ledum palustre of Japan is a member of the Ericaceae, or heath family of plants.
- According to the Resources Information Network, it is also known as Chinese wolfberry, goji berry, barbary matrimony vine, bocksdorn, cambronera, Duke of Argyll's tea tree, or matrimony vine.
- Known as The Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree, it grows wild in hedgerows in some parts of the UK.
Definition of tea tree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan