Definition of tea tree in English:
1 (also ti tree) An Australasian flowering shrub or small tree whose leaves are sometimes used for tea. Some species yield an oil valued for its antiseptic properties.
- Genera Leptospermum and Melaleuca, family Myrtaceae: several species, in particular Melaleuca alternifolia, whose leaves yield an essential oil
- Other ingredients such as propolis, myrrh, tea tree and echinacea can help slow bacterial growth, strengthen gum tissue and prevent inflammation.
- He points to work done in a Parisian hospital in which doctors used essential oils of tea tree, thyme and oregano to treat infections.
- On shelves in one bedroom were dozens of bottles of essential oils: clary sage, cinnamon, tea tree and carrot seed.
2 (also Duke of Argyll's tea tree) An ornamental boxthorn native to the Mediterranean.
- Lycium barbarum, family Solanaceae
- Going by a host of names - from Duke of Argyll's tea tree to Iso-tsutsuji - the Ledum palustre of Japan is a member of the Ericaceae, or heath family of plants.
- According to the Resources Information Network, it is also known as Chinese wolfberry, goji berry, barbary matrimony vine, bocksdorn, cambronera, Duke of Argyll's tea tree, or matrimony vine.
- Known as The Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree, it grows wild in hedgerows in some parts of the UK.
Definition of tea tree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.