Definition of teacher in English:
A person who teaches, especially in a school: a history teacher
More example sentences
- On the first day of the new school year the teachers are crackling with enthusiasm.
- The crush you had on the history teacher was so obvious it could be seen a mile off.
- At the Catholic Junior School a teacher caned me for talking to the boy next to me.
educator, tutor, instructor, pedagogue, schoolteacher, schoolmaster, schoolmistress, master, mistress, governess, educationalist, educationist;
guide, mentor, guru, counsellor;
North American , chiefly derogatory schoolmarm
British informal beak
Australian/New Zealand informal chalkie, schoolie
archaic doctor, schoolman, usher
- Example sentences
- That's now my ideal of teacherly advocacy: The object of veneration is not the lecturer but the work of art.
- My own children always laugh at my teacherly impulses to say that the students should tell the teachers what is going on, but there it is.
- Yet the teacherly streak in Orwell - his calling to educate the unenlightened bourgeoisie - drove him further to investigate Britain's under-class.