Definition of tear-jerker in English:
A sentimental story, film, or song, calculated to evoke sadness or sympathy.
- The rest of what was put on was mostly farce; light comedies, very often French, sentimental tear-jerkers and vaudeville.
- Given the fact that this film is a Hollywood tear-jerker, the combination of this with the extreme violence and the demonisation cannot fail to incite hatred of the Jewish people.
- As a tear-jerker, the film could tug at the ducts a little less fervently and still maintain its desired effect.
tear-jerking noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- With its uniformly excellent cast, Silberling's finely observed meditation on grief and loss never stoops to tear-jerking sentiment.
- The open-air-stage in one of the roads in Pykara was no impediment to the passers-by who turned onlookers after the tear-jerking tale of ‘Kalyani’ shook them, especially the women segment.
- They also point to a recent study report from Tamil Nadu that watching soaps, especially the tear-jerking kind, late into night, could result in tearful babies for pregnant women.
Definition of tear-jerker in:
- US English dictionary