(also teazle or teazel)
Definition of teasel in English:
1A tall prickly Eurasian plant with spiny purple flower heads.
- Genus Dipsacus, family Dipsacaceae: several species, including fuller’s teasel
- Santolina is clipped into clouds and punctuation is provided by six foot tall teasels, milk thistles, huge artichokes and great clumps of bear's breeches.
- The land was quiet and pleasant, with teasels, cowslips, bluebells, and dark soil ridged for spuds or glowing with oil seed rape.
- Vigorous self-seeders such as teasels and some annual poppies, and plants that tend to be too tall and lanky to stand the winter gales such as certain Achillea cultivars, are ideal contenders.
verb[with object] (often as noun teaseling) chiefly archaic Back to top
Raise a nap on (cloth) with or as if with teasels: there was an increase in cloth-finishing, especially by teaseling
More example sentences
- It is made with combed and teazled merino wool, enriched by an elegant piece of embroidery with satin motifs.
- The garments to be teaseled cannot have free yarns.
- A shaggy cloth, though coarsely woven and loose in texture, will be found warmer than an equally heavy cloth which is woven compactly, and which has been sheared, carded and teazled.
Definition of teasel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia