Definition of technocracy in English:
noun (plural technocracies)[mass noun]
1The government or control of society or industry by an elite of technical experts: failure in the war on poverty discredited technocracy
More example sentences
- They stand against ‘industrial society in all its forms; against neoliberalism and technocracy, and against corporate crooks and their allies in government’.
- With the decline of the critical intellectual, the thinker gives way to the expert, politics yields to technocracy, and culture and education lapse into forms of social therapy.
- Admittedly, this optimism was tempered by his faith in democracy, and his hints about the growing threat of technocracy to democracy.
1.1 [count noun] An instance or application of technocracy.
- I do believe direct representation should be the defining aspect of democracy and what you find in Europe is more a ruling technocracy than a democracy.
- I had already done a theocratic technocracy, so why not a feudal democracy?
- Not in so many words, she viewed my new handset as just another exotic creation of a transnational technocracy using technology to get us to spend our obsessive consumerist, materialist dollars.
1.2 [count noun] An elite of technical experts.
- So you're not worried about the development of a sort of elite technocracy running the global brain machines?
- I say despite itself, because to advance its legitimacy, the technocracy has promoted an exaggerated secularization of society that is simultaneously radical and very damaging.
- Thus, the highest positions of prestige and authority would be assumed by a meritocratic elite of intelligence and creativity: the technocracy.
Definition of technocracy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan