Definition of tectum in English:
1The uppermost part of the midbrain, lying to the rear of the cerebral aqueduct.
- Although medial and lateral gaze palsies are typical, patients usually retain upper eyelid control and vertical eye movement because of sparing of the mid-brain tectum, which allows communication.
- Each trochlear nerve makes its exit through the caudal tectum (the dorsal portion of the midbrain), immediately lateral to the frenulum of the superior medullary velum.
- Recently, we presented evidence for an involvement of histamine in the generation and organization of such defensive reactions in the midbrain tectum.
1.1 (in full optic tectum) A rounded swelling (colliculus) forming part of the tectum and containing cells involved in the visual system.
- Brains were removed and dissected into telencephalon (excluding the olfactory bulbs), hypothalamus (excluding the pituitary), optic tectum, and brain stem (excluding the cerebellum).
- In fish, the optic tecta and cerebellum, which can be thought of as the functional equivalent of the optic lobes, occupy approximately one-half of total brain volume.
- However, expression appeared to be greater in the cerebellum, ectostriatum, paleostriatum, and layers of the optic tectum, suggesting regional differences in regulation.
Early 20th century: from Latin, literally 'roof'.
Definition of tectum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.