noun (plural same or tegus)
- A large stocky lizard that has dark skin with pale cross-bands of small spots, native to the tropical forests of South America.
More example sentences
- Genus Tupinambis, family Teiidae: several species, in particular the common tegu (T. teguixin)
- Some nests had clearly been raided by tegus - large black-and-white lizards common in the reserve - and jaguar footprints and scratch marks on trees near nests implicated the big cats as well.
- Adult Argentinian black and white tegus can have a variety of fruits and vegetables added to their diet.
- Argentine Black and White tegus begin breeding here in Florida around mid March until mid April.
1950s: abbreviation of teguexin, from Aztec tecoixin 'lizard'.
More definitions of teguDefinition of tegu in:
- The US English dictionary