(also telangiectasis tɛˌlandʒɪˈɛktəsɪs)
Definition of telangiectasia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A condition characterized by dilatation of the capillaries causing them to appear as small red or purple clusters, often spidery in appearance, on the skin or the surface of an organ.
- Tortuous dilation of the hepatic arteries and capillary telangiectasia of the hepatic surface in the operative field were remarkable.
- More than 70% of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations are associated with the genetic condition, hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia, also known as the Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome.
- A milder form of the same disease, termed Leber's miliary aneurysms, can present later in life as a localised cluster of dilated capillaries, aneurysms, and telangiectasia, typically in the temporal quadrants of the retina.
- Example sentences
- The most important differential diagnosis is with telangiectatic osteosarcoma, however, which features a disorderly proliferation of clearly malignant atypical cells in a vascular background.
- Since it can be confused with several lesions, including telangiectatic osteosarcoma, awareness of this rare appearance of aneurysmal bone cyst is important to avoid unnecessary radical surgery.
- Nodulocystic basal cell carcinoma presents as a solitary, shiny, red nodule with large telangiectatic vessels, often seen on the face.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek telos 'end' + angeion 'vessel' + ektasis 'dilatation'.
Definition of telangiectasia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.