- A fish of a large group that comprises all ray-finned fishes apart from the primitive bichirs, sturgeons, paddlefishes, freshwater garfishes, and bowfins.
More example sentences
- Division (or infraclass) Teleostei, subclass Actinopterygii: many orders
- These advances culminated in the modern bony fish, or teleosts, which show a tremendous diversity of mouth parts and feeding specializations.
- The basiventrals form distinct elements that articulate with the pleural ribs in primitive teleosts, and thus act as parapophyses.
- In the teleost fishes studied to date, the male morphs differ in circulating androgen levels.
mid 19th century: from Greek teleos 'complete' + osteon 'bone'.
More definitions of teleostDefinition of teleost in:
- The US English dictionary