- A very long television programme, typically one broadcast to raise money for a charity.More example sentences
- Earlier this month, Johnny was among a galaxy of stars who manned the phones at a televised tsunami telethon to raise money for victims of the Asian disaster..
- The telethon was to raise money for the people in need, to give them food where they had none, to put pharmaceuticals on their pharmacy shelves.
- It is not yet known how much money was raised by the telethon but early predictions suggest it could be over £70 million.
1940s (originally US): from tele- 'at a distance' + -thon on the pattern of marathon.
More definitions of telethonDefinition of telethon in:
- The US English dictionary