A fossil amphibian of a large group that was dominant from the Carboniferous to the Triassic.
- Order (or grade) Temnospondyli: many families
More example sentences
- However, some Triassic temnospondyls, such as Laidleria, exhibit the pattern of Dendrerpeton, with the jugal and prefrontal broadly sutured, and the orbits well back on the skull.
- Many Carboniferous temnospondyls appear to have been primarily terrestrial in habits, with strong limbs, but no lateral line canals.
- At this point, temnospondyls, lepospondyls and reptilomorphs diverged.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Temnospondyli (plural), from Greek temnein 'to cut' + spondulos 'vertebra'.
Definition of temnospondyl in:
- The US English dictionary