Definition of temporize in English:
Avoid making a decision or committing oneself in order to gain time: the opportunity was missed because the queen still temporized
More example sentences
- The council had temporized on quite crucial decisions.
- Moderate leaders continue to temporize and avoid coming to grips with extremists.
- Liberals are classified as weak, insipid, temporizing, and unprincipled.
equivocate, procrastinate, play for time, play a waiting game, stall, use delaying tactics, avoid committing oneself, avoid making a decision, delay, hang back, beat about the bush, be evasive, prevaricate, be indecisive, hesitate;
British hum and haw
US informal kick the can down the road
rare tergiversate, use Fabian tactics
- Example sentences
- It is a temporisation: a device for avoiding to commit oneself.
- He steered the US back toward the path of temporisation and appeasement.
- Nothing has been more deleterious in this war than the promise of hard force followed by temporization.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.