- 1A person or thing that tempts.More example sentences
- You've got two villains here - the tempters and the tempted.
- The temptress and tempters have described their seduction technique.
- The walk is visually stunning for anyone used to a dry, brown landscape, and a serious tempter for more.
- 1.1 (the Tempter) The Devil.More example sentences
- Jesus resisted the Tempter.
- He is quite unlike the biblical Tempter in his actions.
- His grapples with the Tempter are portrayed in dark, unsettling detail.
late Middle English: from Old French tempteur, from ecclesiastical Latin temptator, from Latin temptare 'to handle, test, try'.
More definitions of tempterDefinition of tempter in:
- The US English dictionary