- (In bridge, whist, and similar card games) a pair of cards in one hand which rank immediately above and below a card held by an opponent, e.g. the ace and queen in a suit of which an opponent holds the king: declarer holds a trump tenace over EastMore example sentences
- Not wishing to lead from one of his tenaces, he opened the ten of spades.
- Throwing the lead back to defenders after eliminating safe suits can force them to lead into your tenaces.
- These tenaces are revealed to the defenders, providing them with additional defense advantages.
mid 17th century: from French, from Spanish tenaza, literally 'pincers'.
More definitions of tenaceDefinition of tenace in:
- The US English dictionary