Definition of tendril in English:
1A slender thread-like appendage of a climbing plant, often growing in a spiral form, which stretches out and twines round any suitable support.
- Shoots were cut, divided into stems with broad leaves, tendrils, flowers, and fruits.
- The plant climbs by means of tendrils and is best grown in a composted soil supported by a fence or trellis.
- The plants produce an abundance of tendrils and can support themselves if planted about 1 inch apart.
1.1Something resembling a plant tendril, especially a slender curl or ringlet of hair: the wind fitfully moved the dark tendrils around her forehead
More example sentences
- She is radiantly attired in a pink designer dress, with her hair curled in tendrils.
- Her hair was thrown in a slightly messy ponytail that let tendrils of golden tawny hair fall in curls around her face.
- Her rich, dark chocolate hair cascaded down her back in loose curled tendrils.
Definition of tendril in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan