Definition of tenebrism in English:
A style of painting developed by Caravaggio and other 17th-century Spanish and Italian artists, characterized by predominantly dark tones and shadows with dramatically contrasting effects of light.
- His stay in Italy, where he encountered Caravaggesque naturalism and tenebrism, was decisive for his art.
- For him, tenebrism fit the general category of ‘furtive painting’, a style that was intended to conceal shortcomings by means of cloaking shadows.
- Caravaggio revolutionized Baroque painting with a technique called tenebrism.
- Example sentences
- His first works were painted in a naturalistic and tenebrist style.
- She creates a tenebrist tableau of brilliant whites and jet blacks.
- He was at his best as a tenebrist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan