- A game in which two or four players strike a ball with rackets over a net stretched across a court. The usual form (originally called lawn tennis) is played with a felt-covered hollow rubber ball on a grass, clay, or artificial surface. See also real tennis.More example sentences
- It was not creative tennis but it was enthralling nonetheless.
- She fits in a gentle game of tennis every week.
- He has some unexpected spare time and challenges me to a game of tennis.
late Middle English tenetz, tenes 'real tennis', apparently from Old French tenez 'take, receive' (called by the server to an opponent), imperative of tenir.
More definitions of tennisDefinition of tennis in:
- The US English dictionary