A projecting piece of wood made for insertion into a mortise in another piece: a mortise and tenon joint
More example sentences
- One piece of wood has tenons that fit into matching sockets drilled into another piece of wood.
- They employ hand-chiseled mortises and tenons.
- The frame is completely made of wooden parts solidly linked by many mortises and tenons held together by a sophisticated system of brackets.
1.1Cut as a tenon: the part to be tenoned is wider than the part to be mortised
- Example sentences
- These tenoners vary in size.
- The tenoners were designed for accuracy over time and a dramatic reduction in set-up time.
- Some machinery manufacturers are working to produce tenoners that can cut a curved arch in one through-feed.
Late Middle English: from French, from tenir 'to hold', from Latin tenere.
Words that rhyme with tenonLennon, pennon
Definition of tenon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.