noun[mass noun] Architecture
- The characteristic property of a stable three-dimensional structure consisting of members under tension that are contiguous and members under compression that are not: [as modifier]: tensegrity constructionMore example sentences
- A parametric model developed by Katharine Liapi at the University of Texas allows architects to visualize and design with tensegrity structures.
- Emerging from and, after technical problems, now fed by the water of the lake, the tensegrity structure of the ‘Cloud ‘was designed by Group Extasia (Diller-Scofidio from New York, together with architects from Zürich and Rotterdam).
- MGI is working to mimic biological tensegrity both for industrial applications and to engineer weight-bearing tissue replacement scaffolds.
1950s: from tensional integrity.
More definitions of tensegrityDefinition of tensegrity in:
- The US English dictionary