- 1Relating to tension: a tensile forceMore example sentences
- Compressive forces are generally significantly greater than the tensile forces generated in a tensile test.
- Most simply, muscle fibers activated by the nervous system produce tensile forces that are transmitted to the skeleton.
- The resulting tensile forces on the beads mimicked those in a traction splint, which is sometimes used to hold fractured bones in place.
- 2Capable of being drawn out or stretched: a tensile steel rodMore example sentences
- Therefore, concrete beams are reinforced with steel rods on the tensile side (in cross section) when experiencing bending.
- Eva Jiricna's Faith Zone is a cluster of arched tensile canopies stretched out over sinuous walls.
- Steel plates connect the flanges of the columns, producing an in-situ tensile membrane capable of resisting loads up to 50 psi.
- More example sentences
- Alternatively you could do what the Delhiites do, they unravel their old sweaters and dye the wool, mix some new wool to give it tensility and then knit themselves a brand new sweater in a completely new design!
- The wrought glass had been shaped to exact specifications, the strength of its form compensating for the weakness of its tensility.
- The tensility of the poly fibers used here is thicker and stronger to meet our safety and quality standard.
early 17th century (in sense 2): from medieval Latin tensilis, from Latin tendere 'to stretch'.
More definitions of tensileDefinition of tensile in:
- The US English dictionary