- In a state of suspense or agitation because of uncertainty about a future event: he was on tenterhooks waiting for the director’s decisionMore example sentences
in suspense, waiting with bated breath; anxious, nervous, nervy, apprehensive, worried, worried sick, on edge, edgy, tense, strained, stressed, agitated, in a state of nerves, in a state of agitation, fretful, restless, worked up, keyed up, overwrought, wrought up, strung out, jumpy, with one's stomach in knots, with one's heart in one's mouth, like a cat on a hot tin roof, fidgety, on pins and needles• informal with butterflies in one's stomach, jittery, twitchy, in a state, uptight, wired, in a stew, in a dither, all of a dither, in a sweat, in a flap, in a tizz/tizzy, all of a lather, het up, in a twitter, waiting for the axe to fallNorth American • informal spooky, squirrelly, in a twitAustralian/New Zealand • informal toeyBritish • vulgar slang shitting bricks, bricking oneself• dated overstrung
- Hospital bosses in south Essex were today on tenterhooks as the future of controversial foundation trusts went back into the melting pot.
- Anyhoo, I feel like the grandparents were just waiting on tenterhooks to find out the sex so they can finally go out and shop for the baby.
- Everyone is just waiting on tenterhooks for the ward phone to ring.
More definitions of tenterhookDefinition of tenterhook in:
- The US English dictionary