Definition of tephrochronology in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
The dating of volcanic eruptions and other events by studying layers of tephra.
- To introduce students to tephrochronology as a means of correlating marine, ice and terrestrial proxy records of palaeoenvironmental change.
- These deposits are important because they permit both increased dating resolution in areas close to volcanoes and the use of tephrochronology over very long distances.
- Example sentences
- The prize shall be awarded to the author or co-authors of the most meritorious contribution to tephrochronological research in the New Zealand region published in the previous 3 years.
- The tephrochronological record of Monticchio is ideal for linking both terrestrial and marine sequences of the Eastern Mediterranean.
- A preliminary tephrochronological investigation was conducted around mid to late Holocene archaeological sites on the coast of eleven islands of the Kuril Islands.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan