noun(plural teredos) Zoology
- A worm-like marine bivalve mollusc with reduced shells which it uses to drill into wood. It can cause substantial damage to wooden structures and (formerly) ships. Also called shipworm.
More example sentences
- Genus Teredo, family Teredinidae: several species, in particular T. navalis
- I first became acquainted with teredos while working on wooden boats in the San Francisco Bay area.
- It has been tried before but the bamboo became completely waterlogged and eaten by teredos before the Pacific was half crossed.
- In the age of wooden ships, teredos and other wood-borers were a tremendous problem.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek terēdōn; related to teirein 'rub hard, wear away'.
More definitions of teredoDefinition of teredo in:
- The US English dictionary