Definition of teriyaki in English:
1A Japanese dish consisting of fish or meat marinated in soy sauce and grilled.
- There are just under a dozen items to choose from at lunch, from chicken or beef teriyaki or udon, to shrimp tempura and sushi and sashimi selections.
- We ordered warm sake, tempura prawns and two teriyaki dishes, chicken and beef.
- Sushi, chicken teriyaki, Thai food, Tandori, even privately owned taquerias all do well here in some way or form.
1.1 (also teriyaki sauce) A mixture of soy sauce, sake, ginger, and other flavourings, used in Japanese cookery as a marinade or glaze for fish or meat dishes.
- Drizzle some spicy mayonnaise over the tuna, drizzle some teriyaki sauce around the dish, and garnish with shisho leaves.
- The glaze is called teriyaki sauce and may be bought in a commercially prepared form or made at home.
- After the vegetables and chicken were cooked, I added some teriyaki sauce and a little bit of honey-garlic sauce, just for taste.
Japanese, from teri 'gloss, lustre' + yaki 'to fry, grill, sear'.
Definition of teriyaki in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia