- A small, pale soft-bodied insect that lives in large colonies with several different castes, typically within a mound of cemented earth. Many kinds feed on wood and can be highly destructive to trees and timber. Also called white ant.
More example sentences
- Order Isoptera: several families
- Dwarf mongooses mainly feed on insects like termites, locusts, beetles, grubs, larvae and spiders.
- This is applicable especially, but not exclusively, to so-called social insects such as bees, wasps, ants and termites.
- Some termites feed on the wood timber of houses, posing a danger as a roof or ceiling can collapse from the impact of their feeding.
late 18th century: from late Latin termes, termit- 'woodworm', alteration of Latin tarmes, perhaps by association with terere 'to rub'.
More definitions of termiteDefinition of termite in:
- The US English dictionary