noun[mass noun] Music
- The form of a movement in which the first subject is repeated after an interposed second subject in a related key.More example sentences
- In the 20th century, ternary form was used by Bartók, and even by Webern, who reverted to old structural forms in his 12-note instrumental works dating from 1927 to 1940.
- The first two pieces are in ternary form with a fast-slow-fast regimen.
- In the Andante the adoption of a simple ternary form allows him the freedom to grapple with his 12-note technique.
More definitions of ternary formDefinition of ternary form in:
- The US English dictionary