Arranged in threes, especially (of a compound leaf) having three leaflets.
More example sentences
- Mexican mock orange (Choisya ternata) is a good example of a plant with ternate leaves.
- Based on leaf architecture, there are three main compound leaf types: pinnate, palmate, and ternate.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin ternatus, from medieval Latin ternare 'make threefold', from terni 'three at once'.
- More example sentences
- The leaf is usually ternately divided, the petiolule about equalling the blade in length.
- Ternately compound leaves come in threes, such as poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans).
- The plant has ferny, pinnately or ternately decompound leaves and produces compound umbels with small white or pinkish flowers that are attractive to bees.