- 1An ammoniacal earthy deposit found in mounds in prehistoric lake dwellings or settlements, especially in Italy.More example sentences
- The terramare, archaeological sites generated by a civilisation which settled the centre of the Po plain since the Middle Bronze age, were abruptly abandoned at the end of the Recent Bronze age.
- A summary of early results as to these mounds was published by Munro (Lake Dwellings) in 1890, but scientific investigation really began only with the excavation of the terramare at Castellazzo di Fontanellato (province of Parma) in 1889.
- 1.1A dwelling or settlement characterized by the presence of terramare.More example sentences
- The culture of the terramare produced a systematic and intensive agricultural and pastoral exploitation of the environment and caused heavy deforestation.
mid 19th century: from French, from Italian dialect terramara, from Italian terra 'earth' + marna 'marl'.