1A small dog of a breed originally used for turning out foxes and other burrowing animals from their earths.
- In addition, there was a show of the Ullswater foxhounds and an open foxhound show; a show of various breeds of terriers along with gun dogs and children's pets.
- Those days in Ireland there were few breeds to choose from and the greyhound, Irish red setter, terrier and sheep dog were about as far as it went.
- The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.
1.1Used in similes to emphasize tenacity or eagerness: she would fight like a terrier for every penny
More example sentences
- He was like a terrier, bounding along, whereas I was more like a snail - there was just so much to see at this site.
- She was like a terrier worrying an elk hound, charging in and pressing an attack so fast and furious he had no choice but to defend himself.
- Roche has worked like a terrier on the campaign, cancelling his summer holidays and launching a series of blistering broadsides on the No side.
Words that rhyme with terrierFerrier
1A register of the lands belonging to a landowner, originally including a list of tenants, their holdings, and the rents paid, later consisting of a description of the acreage and boundaries of the property.
- Above all they made for muniment rooms, where terriers and other records of feudal obligations were held.
- The earliest reliable sources are the terriers (a register of land and property) with the tithe maps c. 1840 that indicate where all the licensed properties were located with a tithe reference number, the name, the owner or brewery, and the occupant.
1.1An inventory of property or goods.
- It was noted in a letter book of 1907 that the late Canon C. W. Foster was already being asked to produce glebe terriers for the diocesan registrar.
- The Care of Churches and Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction Measure 1991 requires church wardens to compile and maintain a full terrier and inventory of all land and articles appertaining to their church.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan