Definition of terrific in English:
1Of great size, amount, or intensity: there was a terrific bang
More example sentences
- The same goes for De Niro, who plays his part with such terrific intensity.
- There has always been a terrific amount of keeping up with the Joneses.
- In the final the large crowd was enthralled by a game of intense skill and terrific excitement.
tremendous, huge, massive, gigantic, colossal, mighty, great, very great, very big, prodigious, formidable, sizeable, considerable;
intense, extreme, extraordinary, excessive, inordinate
1.1 informal Extremely good; excellent: it’s been such a terrific day you look terrific
More example sentences
- He is an excellent tackler with terrific instincts and the speed to chase down plays.
- It sounded like a terrific idea, but somehow got extremely muddled along the way.
- In the south of France a wonderful woman supervises another terrific restaurant, the Hostellerie Jerome in La Turbie.
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstanding;
informal super, great, smashing, amazing, amazeballs, fantastic, tremendous, phenomenal, sensational, incredible, heavenly, divine, stellar, gorgeous, dreamy, grand, fabulous, fab, fabby, fantabulous, brill, awesome, magic, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, ace, crack, cool, mean, bad, wicked, mega, crucial, mind-blowing, far out, A1, sound, out of this world, marvy, spanking
North American informal peachy, dandy, jim-dandy, neat, badass, boss, radical, rad, boffo, bully, bitching, bodacious, crackerjack
South African informal kif, lank
informal , dated groovy
British informal , dated capital, champion, wizard, corking, cracking, ripping, spiffing, top-hole, topping, beezer
North American informal , dated swell, keen
vulgar slang shit-hot
- [as submodifier]: she’s been terrifically busy latelyMore example sentences
- He brings to the plate some truly fragrant and terrifically tender roasted meat.
- Malkovich's first film is a triumphant and terrifically stylish exercise in moviemaking; it has a real identity and signature.
- He is terrifically smart, funny, judicious, a great lawyer, and knowledgeable about law, history, and so much else.
Words that rhyme with terrificanaglyphic, beatific, calorific, colorific, hieroglyphic, honorific, horrific, Indo-Pacific, pacific, prolific, scientific, soporific, specific, transpacific, triglyphic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan