Denoting a form of malaria causing a fever that recurs every second day: tertian fever
- The common benign tertian malaria (or tertian ague) is caused by infection with Plasmodium vivax or P. ovale, and malignant tertian malaria is caused by P. falciparum. Compare with quartan
More example sentences
- After much thought, the only thing I could see that was left to do was to give the historical treatment of inducing bouts of fever by infecting the patient with benign tertian malaria.
- Benign tertian malaria may not be seen until several years after arrival.
- Two tertian malarial species, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium ovale, may appear to be similar morphologically.
late Middle English (fever) terciane, from Latin (febris) tertiana, from tertius 'third' (the fever recurring every third day by inclusive reckoning).
Definition of tertian in:
- The US English dictionary