Definition of test drive in English:
An act of driving a motor vehicle that one is considering buying, in order to determine its quality.
- Buying at auction might save you a few quid in the short term but unless you know what you're looking at you are probably better off scouring the classifieds and taking any car you're considering for a test drive before you part with cash.
- Out on our test drive, in a 1.6 litre model (likely to be the bestseller), I was struck by its hushed refinement and strikingly good quality.
- In a test drive on simulated ice, the system did not allow the driver to veer off-course and spin the car.
verbBack to top
(test-drive) [with object] Drive (a motor vehicle) to determine its qualities with a view to buying it.
- Weeks were also spent test-driving cars, including an undertaker's hearse, to ensure the best choice was made.
- He might have saved himself some heartache if he had test-driven his current car, a BMW 645 convertible.
- Eight-year-old Fionn Fitzgibbon from Dublin was delighted to be first to test-drive the racing car while other children stared wide-eyed waiting their turn.
Definition of test drive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.