Definition of test drive in English:
An act of driving a motor vehicle that one is considering buying, in order to determine its quality.
- Buying at auction might save you a few quid in the short term but unless you know what you're looking at you are probably better off scouring the classifieds and taking any car you're considering for a test drive before you part with cash.
- Out on our test drive, in a 1.6 litre model (likely to be the bestseller), I was struck by its hushed refinement and strikingly good quality.
- In a test drive on simulated ice, the system did not allow the driver to veer off-course and spin the car.
verbBack to top
(test-drive) [with object] Drive (a motor vehicle) to determine its qualities with a view to buying it.
- Weeks were also spent test-driving cars, including an undertaker's hearse, to ensure the best choice was made.
- He might have saved himself some heartache if he had test-driven his current car, a BMW 645 convertible.
- Eight-year-old Fionn Fitzgibbon from Dublin was delighted to be first to test-drive the racing car while other children stared wide-eyed waiting their turn.
Definition of test drive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia