- Judge people’s feelings or opinions before taking further action.More example sentences
- Susie Rae, of Ski Scotland, said: ‘We have limited the tickets because we are just testing the water to see if there is a demand out there.’
- We have a few thoughts about where he could be moved to but the proceedings are at a very early stage and we are effectively testing the water.
- A multinational company and a landowner have been testing the water on plans to bring a £100 million development to the area.
More definitions of test the waterDefinition of test the water in:
- The US English dictionary