Definition of tetchy in English:
adjective (tetchier, tetchiest)
Irritable and bad-tempered: she had always been tetchy and impatient with him a tetchy statement
More example sentences
- You can see why people might get a little tetchy about their personal privacy with one company carving so many avenues into their lives, even if I do think those worries are ultimately unfounded.
- I'm feeling just a wee bit dehydrated and ever-so-slightly tetchy.
- Firm with the media in the past, he is now tetchy.
irritable, irascible, peevish, crotchety, cantankerous, cross, fractious, disagreeable, pettish, crabbed, crabby, waspish, prickly, testy, peppery, impatient, grumpy, bad-tempered, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, touchy, scratchy, volatile, crusty, dyspeptic, splenetic, liverish, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, choleric
North American informal peckish, soreheaded
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
informal, , dated miffy
- Example sentences
- When his time came he tetchily refuted the notion that Peel might have contributed anything to his success.
- ‘You offered us answers,’ she reminded him tetchily.
- He added tetchily, ‘You don't have to face responsibilities of any sort do you?’
- Example sentences
- A mild tetchiness and suspicion between the two counties has been evident in more than merely their refusal to contemplate a unified police unit.
- If you are a serious caffeine fiend, begin your detox on a non-working day as you'll probably be in for a bit of a headache and a prolonged bout of tetchiness.
- His extreme tetchiness was on show on that night's television news as he recounted, through gritted teeth, the agreement he had already reached with them over a financial review of the national stadium project.
Words that rhyme with tetchysketchy, stretchy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.