Definition of tetrastyle in English:
A building or part of a building, especially a portico, that has four pillars.
- Where the streets meet at right angles in the middle of the enclosure stands a tetrastyle reminiscent of Roman arches of triumph.
- Keeping this in mind, archaeologists looked for remains of an extensive residential area and found it just beyond the tetrastyle to the southwest.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a building or part of a building) having four pillars: a tetrastyle portico
More example sentences
- Excavations in the 1950s and 1960s around the columns and the nearby spring suggest that the tetrastyle temple, measuring 2010.75m., was dedicated to Apollo, who is commemorated in the name of the town.
- Constructed probably from the 60s, it comprised a precinct containing a tetrastyle classical temple, on axis with which was an altar.
- Eumenean on the west and Philanthropic on the east are two-story pavilions with tetrastyle pedimented porticos.
Words that rhyme with tetrastylevolatile • hypostyle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan