- A building or part of a building, especially a portico, that has four pillars.More example sentences
- Where the streets meet at right angles in the middle of the enclosure stands a tetrastyle reminiscent of Roman arches of triumph.
- Keeping this in mind, archaeologists looked for remains of an extensive residential area and found it just beyond the tetrastyle to the southwest.
adjectiveBack to top
- (Of a building or part of a building) having four pillars: a tetrastyle porticoMore example sentences
- Excavations in the 1950s and 1960s around the columns and the nearby spring suggest that the tetrastyle temple, measuring 2010.75m., was dedicated to Apollo, who is commemorated in the name of the town.
- Constructed probably from the 60s, it comprised a precinct containing a tetrastyle classical temple, on axis with which was an altar.
- Eumenean on the west and Philanthropic on the east are two-story pavilions with tetrastyle pedimented porticos.
early 18th century: via Latin from Greek tetrastulos, from tetra- 'four' + stulos 'column'.