Definition of tetrazolium in English:
noun[as modifier] Chemistry
1A cation derived from tetrazole or one of its derivatives, especially the triphenyl derivative.
- The ability of the seedlings to reduce triphenyl tetrazolium chloride was then determined, using the method of Steponskus and Lanphear.
- The seeds were then cut in half longitudinally and deposited on a sterile Whatman No.1 filter paper impregnated with 1% tetrazolium chloride.
- After 24 and 48 h, aliquots were transferred to 96-well plates and incubated for 3 h with a tetrazolium salt.
1.1 (also nitroblue tetrazolium) [mass noun] A yellow dye used as a test for viability in biological material.
- The stains acridine orange, ethidium bromide, azur II, eosin B, trypan blue, Giemsa solution and nitroblue tetrazolium were purchased from Sigma.
- The failure of all 1-year-old dry - stored seeds to germinate likely reflected a loss of viability, rather than evidence of a dormant state, because the small percentage that stained positive to tetrazolium did so weakly.
- This technique is more reliable than tetrazolium chloride for this species, because some deeply dormant viable seeds show minimal staining with tetrazolium.
Definition of tetrazolium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia