- 1A type of cloth or woven fabric: a fascinating range of pottery, jewellery, and textilesMore example sentences
- In addition, foreign designers are increasingly turning to India as a major source of exquisite textiles, rich embroidery fabrics and unique embellishments.
- With a rejuvenation of interest in textiles and fabrics, selecting draperies is an invitation to give your windows a beautiful new presentation.
- The women proudly showed us their handspun, naturally dyed, back strap loom woven textiles, which are really works of art.
- 1.1 (textiles) The branch of industry involved in the manufacture of cloth: in textiles, more women were employed than menMore example sentences
- Employment also fell in nondurable goods manufacturing industries, especially textiles, apparel, printing and publishing and rubber products.
- Once hailed as a great manufacturing base, the decline of many widespread industries such as mining, textiles and heavy industry forced communities to re-focus and find new sources of employment.
- The dominant industries are textiles and light manufacturing, as Guangzhou feverishly tries to keep pace with nearby Hong Kong.
- 2 • informal (Among nudists) a non-nudist, especially on a beach: nudists to the left, textiles to the rightMore example sentences
- This is a beach where 'textiles' and nudists have mingled quite happily together for years.
- The beach at Koktabel, in southern Crimea, has long been associated with naturism, and for many decades naturists have co-existed peacefully with the textiles who frequent this busy seaside resort every summer.
- The naturist field is divided by a low fence, so although you are separated from the textiles you were still in full view of each other.
adjectiveBack to top
- 1 [attributive] Relating to fabric or weaving: the textile industryMore example sentences
- In his late textile designs, floral patterns of Art Nouveau fabrics sway in aqueous flotation.
- Pennine Weavers is one of only two commission weavers left in West Yorkshire, producing the highest-quality wool textile fabrics for customers.
- A number of textile manufacturers are marketing fabrics threaded or plated with silver, copper or stainless steel.
- 2 • informal Used by nudists in reference to non-nudists: textile beachesMore example sentences
- Breezes offers a nice 50-yard-long, soft-sand clothing-optional beach that directly adjoins the textile beach.
- The property offers a really nice little beachfront with fine sand and turquoise water, but has textile beaches on both sides and frequent beach walkers, so privacy is limited.
- We felt quite at ease as the naturist section was a good distance from the main 'textile' beach and as a result there were very few passers by.
early 17th century: from Latin textilis, from text- 'woven', from the verb texere.