Definition of thank in English:
1Express gratitude to (someone), especially by saying ‘Thank you’: Mac thanked her for the meal and left
More example sentences
- I could bore you all by thanking the little people who helped me to where I am today.
- By thanking people you are building good will and empathy with their support.
- This man got up and read a little piece thanking the people of Ireland for their generosity.
express (one's) gratitude to, express one's thanks to, offer/extend thanks to, say thank you to, show appreciation to
1.1Used ironically to assign blame or responsibility for something: you have only yourself to thank for the plight you are in
- 1I will thank you to do something
- Used to make a request conveying reproach or annoyance: I’ll thank you not to interrupt me againMore example sentences
- ‘No ‘buts,’ sir, and I will thank you to leave now.’
- If [a trader should] take the bill to the banker's, at whose house it is made payable, and say, ‘Gentlemen, I will thank you to inform me if the accepter of this bill be a respectable man - May I safely give goods or money in exchange for it?’
- I am your Supreme Commander for this operation, and I will thank you to remember it.
- 2thank goodness (or God or heavens)
- Used as an expression of relief: thank goodness no one was badly injuredMore example sentences
- Thank goodness for a free press; and thank goodness for our imperfect system of Democracy.
- Gasping with relief I say, It could have broken but thank goodness it did not.
- The station survived just fine, thank heavens.
- 3thank one's lucky stars
- Feel grateful for one’s good fortune.Example sentences
- Mellisa thanks her lucky stars for having attended St Joseph's Convent where the many extra-curricular activities - drama, singing, elocution, poetry - helped tremendously in developing her talent.
- Bullock thanks her lucky stars that she had been working for a number of years before hitting the Hollywood jackpot.
- A family from Burbage, near Marlborough, are thanking their lucky stars that a meteorological ‘kink’ spared their new holiday home in Florida from the ravages of the recent Hurricane Charley.
Words that rhyme with thankankh, bank, blank, clank, crank, dank, drank, embank, flank, franc, frank, hank, lank, outflank, outrank, Planck, plank, point-blank, prank, rank, sank, shank, shrank, spank, stank, swank, tank, yank
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.