Definition of thankful in English:
1Pleased and relieved: [with clause]: they were thankful that the war was finally over [with infinitive]: I was very thankful to be alive
More example sentences
- I was thankful for the light so I could see but glad it was just enough to see and not blind me.
- I am very thankful for the contribution and support of everyone at the meeting.
- I hold my babies tight and I am thankful for every moment I have with them.
1.1Expressing gratitude and relief: an earnest and thankful prayer
- Example sentences
- The intended spirit of the ancient festival is one of gentleness and thankfulness, paying respect to elders and showing appreciation for the gift of life-giving water.
- They thanked him for the references he had supplied, and graciously he acknowledged their thankfulness though he could not remember any assistance; was this a problem?
- We are able to perceive a tone of gratitude and thankfulness for Carver's willingness to share his scientific largesse with the surrounding community.
Pronunciation: /ˈθaŋkfʊlnəs/ /ˈθaŋkf(ə)lnəs/noun
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.