Definition of thanks in English:
1An expression of gratitude: festivals were held to give thanks for the harvest a letter of thanks
More example sentences
- It came back on about half an hour earlier than predicted, so I suppose I can give thanks for that.
- All were there to give thanks for their survival and to pay tribute to those who never returned from the beaches.
- Hundreds turned out to pay tribute to a beloved former headteacher at a memorial service to give thanks for her life.
1.1 another way of saying thank you. thanks for being so helpful many thanks
More example sentences
- So, even though I don't think the photos are that good, thanks for the compliments!
- Many thanks for the kind comments in the guestbook and also by email.
- There are far too many people in the band to answer that but thanks for asking.
no thanks to
- Used to convey that someone has failed to contribute to, or has hindered, a successful outcome: we’ve won, but no thanks to youMore example sentences
- It was no thanks to your driving that only you got hurt.
- She is doing fine now, thank God, but it's no thanks to the lack of facilities for transport and radiotherapy.
- It's a miracle we've escaped another hit, and it's no thanks to anything these clowns have done.
thanks a million
- informal Thank you very much.Example sentences
- Incidentally, thanks a million to my contributors, whoever you are.
- I would just like to finish by saying thanks a million to all the staff; they are a credit to the Royal Bolton Hospital and to the town of Bolton and surrounding areas.
- Anyhow, thanks a million for the comments left on my blog about getting well soon!
- As a result of; due to: it’s thanks to you that he’s in this messMore example sentences
- Do you think that thanks to my confusion over this unsolicited piece of email I am now a marked man?
- It was very painful when I first did it, but it's a lot easier now thanks to the painkillers.
- I ended up walking about a mile out of my way, thanks to following the instructions given.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan