A fossil quadrupedal or partly bipedal reptile of the Triassic period, having teeth fixed in sockets in the jaw. Thecodonts are ancestral to the dinosaurs and other archosaurs.
- Order Thecodontia, subdivision Archosauria
More example sentences
- When I was a kid growing up, my books on dinosaurs, when describing the Triassic period, featured drawings and descriptions of small bipedal thecodonts, looking like miniature theropod dinosaurs.
- The Triassic thecodonts had given rise to the dinosaurs and pterosaurs in the late Triassic, and these now gave rise to an extraordinary range of adaptations to new habitats.
- Minimally, this specimen proves that the most featherlike structures in a non-avian Mesozoic vertebrate are found in a late Triassic basal archosaur, a thecodont.
Definition of thecodont in:
- The US English dictionary