noun (plural same or Thembus)
A member of a Xhosa-speaking people originating in present-day KwaZulu-Natal and now living in the Transkei.
- All Thembus were free to come - and a great many did, on horseback or on foot.
- The last Paramount Chief of the Tembus, Jongolizwe Mtirara, died in July 1928, four months before Sabata Dalindyebo was born.
- The king of the Tembus was told by a high court judge here yesterday that he would be treated like anyone else facing charges, regardless of who he was.
Relating to the Thembu.
- There she studied Thembu traditions, developed a passion for beadwork, and collected and annotated local costumes that demonstrate how minutely beadwork mapped social identity within this Xhosa-speaking community.
- Broster's work provides detailed evidence of how status could be read from dress in Thembu society.
- Sheep-shearing was also often done by migrant Mfengu and Thembu men.
From Xhosa umThembu.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Thembu
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.