Definition of theodolite in English:
A surveying instrument with a rotating telescope for measuring horizontal and vertical angles.
- Then there were his surveying tools: theodolite, plane table, brass scales, parallel ruler.
- Having begun my navigation career with star shots on sextants and theodolites and sun-compasses during the day, I appreciated the technical brilliance of the GPS (the US Global Positioning System).
- Long says his company hires surveyors who use theodolites to locate the centerlines in both directions for the templates.
late 16th century (originally denoting an instrument for measuring horizontal angles): from modern Latin theodelitus, of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- Alternately, this angle can be determined directly by theodolitic measurement from the vessel.
- Just then an immigration van pulled up and they took off so fast that even a laser-powered theodolitic tracking system would have been unable to keep up with their swift escape.
Definition of theodolite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan