(also thermit /-mɪt/)
- A mixture of finely powdered aluminium and iron oxide that produces a very high temperature on combustion, used in welding and for incendiary bombs: [as modifier]: a thermite grenadeMore example sentences
- Early British incendiaries filled with thermite - a mixture of iron oxide and powdered aluminium - produced great heat but this dissipated quickly and was confined to a small area.
- From his bulging bag he brought out a small, sleek pipe bomb with a thermite fuse - a home-made grenade - and showed it to the men guarding the house.
- Other joining processes include thermite welding, laser welding, and electron-beam welding.
More definitions of thermiteDefinition of thermite in:
- The US English dictionary