noun[mass noun] Geology
- A form of periglacial topography resembling karst, with hollows produced by the selective melting of permafrost.More example sentences
- Deep permafrost thawing may result in irregular surface subsidence and thermokarst pits and mounds.
- Warming of permafrost, thawing of ground ice, and development of thermokarst terrain have been documented over the past several decades.
- The forest owes its appearance to an adjacent lake, one of a number of thermokarst lakes in the region.
More definitions of thermokarstDefinition of thermokarst in:
- The US English dictionary