Definition of thermolysis in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The breakdown of molecules by the action of heat.
- In conditions similar to those encountered in burning domestic waste, thermolysis of Teflon produces halogenated organic acids, which act as greenhouse gases and may promote global warming.
- Most improvements in thermoregulatory ability might be expected to depend on mass-related changes in thermolysis and thermogenesis.
- Pyrolysis, also sometimes referred to as thermolysis, is defined as the thermal degradation of a substance in the absence or with a limited supply of oxygen.
- Example sentences
- The two basic methods of electrolysis are galvanic and thermolytic.
- A German company offers a new design of the process and the equipment that makes a thermolytic plant especially suitable for local waste disposal and energy production.
- The results yield information about the structure of coal, as well as the kinetics and mechanism of supercritical thermolytic reactions.
Definition of thermolysis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan